Wednesday, May 23, 2007

#5 on the ground.........

.........and back for another.

#6 on the ground.

.........and back for another.

....I been busy the last few days.

I'm in El Paso now loading in the morning. I'm hoping to get it there Friday and unload before the holiday. If so I can go see the grandkids before I reload again.....next tuesday.

The reason I been so busy? I dunno....but I can speculate.

It MIGHT be that my company finally billed 'em for "idle time" for all the trucks that was sitting around for days and days.....time is money and if a truck isn't rolling it costs money and doesn't make any. That's a quick way to go broke.

I was told that seventy percent of the trucks were on this job. Seeing as how the company has damn near a thousand trucks I question that. What I think was ment by that was that seventy percent of the heavy haul fleet was on the project. Even so that's seventy or eight trux.

Hmmmmmmm....so assume a thousand dollars a day for detention (idle time).

Adds up don't it? Maybe they got a bill that got their attention......hope so....I can use the cash.


Then again it might be that the rumor was true that "corporate" was visiting. That would have been bad. Imagine trying to explain all those trux sitting every where? .......and nothing getting done?

Whatever the cause....there's some new faces. I figure there was a "come to Jesus meeting" and some changes were made.

At any rate were moving.

And I'm taard.

Nite all.

EvMick

4 comments:

Camie Vog said...

Hi. I found your blog via Google.

In your header, you mention that flatbedders use straps, and heavy haul uses chains...

My husband calls himself a flatbedder, but he uses chains to secure his loads... So, does this mean he is really a heavy hauler?

Forgive my ignorance on this...this way of life is still new to me.

evmick said...

Hi camie.

Er....actually my header is on the order of....a joke. Ask your husband to explain it to you.

As to your question. No...he's probably not a heavy hauler. Heavy haulers are HEAVY..like ....a lot.

A regular flatbed would squish.

The Load I'm hauling right now weighs 85 thousand lbs. That's five thousand pounds MORE than what your husband's Truck, Trailer AND load is likely to weigh.

To put this into perspective....TWO compact cars weigh about five thousand pounds.

So...my load weighs what about thirty compact cars weigh....then add about two thirds (fifty thousand pounds) for the weight of my truck and trailer.

Total weight? About a hundred and forty thousand pounds....or the weight equivalent of about sixty compact cars....or thirty Hummers.


Heavy.

Does that help?

Camie Vog said...

Yep! That explains it.

I asked him the other night if he would be considered a Heavy hauler. He said no, because his truck has 18 wheels and can carry a max of about 80,000 pounds. He said that you most likely have more wheels and carry WAY more than he does. On average, he carries about 47,000 pounds per load.

I like your blog. I have had the rare few moments to read some of your posts. Since I am the only one home (obviously) with the two kids, I don't have as much time to blog as I used too.

Take care, see you later...
Camie
(oh, there is a pic of his truck on my blog. The text says he has steel coils, but it was really steel rods)

evmick said...

Camie:

Generally speaking heavy-haul starts at six, seven or even eight axels. That kinda depends on how "hard-core" the company is.

Figure 20,000 lbs (on average) allowable gross weight per axel.

My company has some eighteen AXEL rigs. That's seventy wheels.

Shucks....my little bitty eight axel rig has thirty wheels.

Glad you like my blog...thanks.

EvMick