Thursday, July 19, 2007

I'm at the yard............

.........still.

Actually I'm at a nearby truckstop.

Second night I've been here......going on the third. Things are looking grim. No freight to speak of it appears. I'm preassigned to a superload next week but I was hoping for something before then.

It's tough all over. For example the driver who's parking next to me even as I type this. It must be tough to be him. Born without a brain . He backed up ..hit the curb....over the curb.....onto the sidewalk...over the sidewalk.....and bumped into a tree.

He then pulled forward....out into the parking lot to get a better angle....then backed up and did it again.

And again.

Three times.

Hit the tree each time. He finally pulled forward just off sidewalk and popped the parking brakes. Of course the sidewalk is blocked....his tandems are slid all the way forward.

I'm just sitting here shaking my head.


EvMick

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the blog, Having given up the trucks to sell trailers it's nice to see that even the bad times are still good. Like old Army stories or prison stories, you would wish them on your worst enemy or you best friend cause they're yours to enjoy. If you get by exit 36 on I30 in Grand Prairie, TX stop in I'll buy the lunch... do this empty cause these other salesmen sell vans... they take up alot of room and still don't make any money...
Wayne Ostrander
wayne@fleetequip.com
www.Flatbedtrailersales.com

evmick said...

I'll sure do that if the opportunity arises.

Thanks for reading my blog....glad you like it.

Camie Vog said...

Ha ha ha!!

My husband loves watching idiots like that! Well, unless they hit his rig, which has happened twice (one even drove off without stopping).

My husband is a flat bed trainer, and is constantly getting sent the trainees who are hopeless in backing up. He doesn't let them go on to final testing until they get it right...

Jeffro said...

We were talking to a pair of Swift drivers in a bar one evening. One regaled me with tales of his training. He had to back his trailer into a marked box - but it didn't matter where his tractor was at the end of the maneuver. He also had to back his tractor into a box - and you guessed it - it didn't matter where his trailer went. He wasn't required to back the whole thing in a slot. Gee, I wonder why some of these guys can't park in a truckstop.

I grew up on a farm. Backing up wide implements on a swinging drawbar is a challenge. I'm sure not afraid to G.O.A.L.(Get Out And Look) when backing a load of tanks - all I have to see back is a removable extended mirror. Just judging where the whole trailer is by the angle of the front deck isn't very smart, particularly since most of our trailers aren't lined up perfectly. Sometimes, some of our trailers are extended as well. When I pulled the same grain trailer for several years at a time, yeah, I could back that thing into some really tight spots without getting out, but the oversize loads - not so much.