Saturday, March 24, 2007


Toodleing along the highway after leaving this morning. Pretty day.

Stormed last night. About three or four in the morning the wind was howling and the truck was rocking. I just rolled over and went back to sleep. Before I crawled into the bunk I'd heard that there was a F2 tornado on the ground near Clovis NM...with another two spotted in the clouds by radar that hadn't touched down yet. Clovis is about 90 miles away from I was.

Nothing I could do about it. Crawl under the truck maybe? Naw....back to sleep.



This is near Fluvana Texas. Cain't see it but there are windmills on that ridge ahead. I carried quiet a few sections in there. Was a big project then. Brazos river valley wind ranch it was called I think. Several years ago when it started....bout '04 I think. Trailer was new then....first thing I hauled on it. It seems they've expanded the ranch a LOT. Huge now.



Another wind ranch...not too far out of Snyder Texas.

Barely see them on the horizon? There's getting to be a bunch of them lately.

Matter of fact next week I'm going to be on a huge project carrying about 200 of them up to Grover Colorado. I'd guess maybe 190 to 220 megawatts generating capacity total....depending on how big the generators are....not huge since they only weigh 96,000 pounds each. So theyre probably less than one megawatt each.

The tower section I'm going to carry weighs 85,000 pounds more or less...so I'm going to have to get a different trailer. I'm going to sell this one monday. Been a pretty good trailer. I hope who ever buys it puts it too good use.

I'm in Ranger Texas. Time too quit for the day. It looks stormy again and if I drive on I'll be fighting Dallas traffic and it might be raining. That's always fun. Since I have all day tomorrow to go a short distance I'm quitting here. Good parking space...Dairy Queen nearby...what more can I ask?

EvMick
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

basset said...

Hope ya don't mind me adding you to my "list" (it's a good list, really!)of blogs to read. When you posted that story in Sarah's Diner, I was impressed with your easy style of writing and really enjoyed the story. In any event, I saw your posting the otherday when you plugged your blog and I thought, "Cool!". So, here I am. Lucky you!
That's about it for now, as they used to say....Keep on trucking [ducks quickly behind the laptop screen]!

john
fear the drool, i am basset

Anonymous said...

Hey Sweetie, this is great.. see.. I told you that you needed to do some writing..

This makes my day when I am down. I come in here read your "stuff" and it gives me a great lift..and lets me dream I am back on the road again also.

Keep up the great work here and keep making my day. Stay safe and Keep On Truckin'

Dot

richyrich said...

I read your story in Sarah's when you posted it and enjoyed it. When you posted about this blog I had to come check it out. Arethe Texans more rational about wind farms and birds than the CA moonbats? BTW, I hold a class A TN license--used to do time critical temperature sensitive freight. In the gas patch now, but sometimes miss the view. Keep the shiny side up, and keep writing.

evmick said...

John...of course I don't mind. In fact I'm flattered. I hope I can live up to expectations.

evmick said...

richyrich

I'll be posting more concerning "wind ranches" as we say in Texas.

Regarding texas moonbattiness. Not so much of it. For one thing there is NO public land in texas. It's all privately owned. Harder for moonbats to interfere I would imagine.

For another thing texans are less tolerant of that kind of thing. Some view that as a bug...I view it as a feature.