Saturday, November 10, 2007

Rant: about tiny phones...

Ok. I'm Moderately rested up...starting to get a little antsy....ready to stir up some trouble.

Here at the house we just did an electronics shuffle. It seems we go do this fairly often. I got rid of a cell phone and got another one....and a pda.

I have a "thing" about cell phones....pda's and what not. I love em and I hate em.

One day I'm gonna find an "ideal" that works well. Right now I'm looking.....and looking and looking.

Cell phones are an absolute must in my business. Any trucker who does not have one is putting himself at a horrible disadvantage. In this business "you snooze....you loose"..that also applies to "getting the word". If you have to deal with increasingly hard to find "land lines"....well you loose.

So a cell phone is a must.

The problem is that they don't seem to make cell phones to operate in the real world any more. They seem to be made for children. Technokiddies. "it's so simple that only a child can understand it". Also tiny.

I admit to being odd and unusual....but I see little need for most of the "features" on today's cell phones. Why do I need SMS,MMS,MP-3, wallpaper, themes and a camera?

Isn't it ...like.... a phone?

And they are soooo small. I have man-sized hands. I'm not a midget (neither am I overly large for a Texan)...but I almost have to grow a long fingernail and then sharpen it to be able to dial on most cell phones. My finger tips typically cover two or more buttons at once.

And the sound....much like a mouse squeaking in the next room. What ever happened to VOLUME? I drive a truck....it's noisy. Hello?

They insist on having screens on cell-phones. What a waste. You can't see them in full sunlight.....BARELY even able to see them at all due to their small size...and most of today's flip phones have two screens....one small and the other tiny.

I won't even talk about fragility except to say they are....very

But I get by....barely. I'm not a happy camper by any stretch.

In fact....I'm such a NOT happy camper that I could get behind a class action lawsuite against cell phone manufactures...or service providers...or both.

What law suite? Well several years ago such notables as the mayor of chicago and others were in the news regarding a lawsuite against fire arms manufactures. The idea was that guns were involved in the death of ...oh...say 5,000 people a year in the US. The firearms manufactures made these evil weapons of destruction so they should be held responsible for the deaths.

Ok...using that logic there are about 52,000 automobile accidents a year in the US. Of which cell phones have been implicated in a huge portion...much greater than that of alcohol.

I thinks it's because the cell phones are so UN-ergonomic. They're hard to use and therefore take up an inordinate amount of a persons attention. ...which should be used for driving. Being small doesn't help.

So....let's sue the cell phone makers cause they're causing fatal car wrecks.

Yeah....I know it's stupid. But it makes about as much sense as anything else politicians do.

3 comments:

Jeffro said...

Yep, the only phone out there that has big buttons seems to be a JitterBug, and I'm not quite ready for that just yet.

I've been using Motorola flip phones for quite a while - I had a Kyocera SmartPhone but never used it to it's capacity. Why spend money on a PDA phone if I don't use it? I'm not wild about burning minutes on taking a cell phone online, either.

Have you ever used a booster? My truck has one, and the hands free is pretty poor on it, so I've been searching for the best Bluetooth headset. After three different ones that were too quiet and crapped out after a couple days, I broke down and got one of the Blue Parrot headsets the Hook sells. It works - volume can be too high.

evmick said...

I haven't used a booster though I've considered it.

I have soooooo many bluetooth headsets. I've got one called the Road Warrior which is the same as the one you're calling Blue Parrot..I think. It's good except for the boom thingie...which gets in the way.

So....I'm currently using something called a jaw bone. It works well with my Sanyo from Sprint. Dunno how well it's gonna work with the Nokia I got from AT&T yet.

It can also be TOO loud. It's also got superior noise canceling functions such that I can be in the truck...running down the road at speed...with both windows open...and the person on the other end of the conversation can hear "as if you were in the room next to me".

Anonymous said...

yo, big bro - you have so many different phones - but you don't CALL me?!!! LOL

We gonna see your happy face next week for Thanksgiving?